ADVICE VS. ADVISE
The above two words are often mistaken. The distinguishing factor between them is that:
- advise is a verb - to offer someone a recommendation
- advice is a noun - an opinion or suggestion
How do I remember the difference
A couple of ways to remember the differences are given below.
- "If a person is advising someone we call them an advisor". Here the important part is that we use the rule that a noun can be created from the verb. Remembering how to spell advisor is not generally a problem so if you remember that it was created from a verb you will know that advise is a verb.
- Building associations with other words we can find in thesaurus:
- advice - giving someone advice is like consulting them on something
- advise - advising someone is assisitng them with something
Image courtesy of GotCredit